Engineering Manager – Web
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Blinkist, we don’t just accept our differences — we celebrate and support them. We are committed to provide equal employment opportunity and strongly encourage you to apply regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point after applying, please let us know.
We inspire people to keep learning.
Blinkist offers the best selection of nonfiction knowledge, all in an app that makes it easy to fit learning into your life. Through audio and text explainers called Blinks, original podcasts and author-driven content, Blinkist is on a mission to help people turn ordinary moments into extraordinary learning opportunities—anytime, anywhere.
Blinkist was created in 2012 right in the heart of Berlin. We’ve been selected as one of the Top 25 Startups in Germany by LinkedIn, and are amongst Berlin’s top 3 employers based on Glassdoor and Kununu ratings.
Team: Engineering & Data
Contract: Unlimited at 40h per week
Working hours: Flexible working hours with a great policy for working from home
Apply by: Oct 19, 2020
Blinkist is expanding quickly. We are scaling up our web platform for future growth and face interesting challenges. As an Engineering Manager – Web at Blinkist, you will have a high impact on our international teams and our business and collaborate with fellow Engineering Managers to keep our engineering organization healthy, effective, and focused.
– You lead and grow two web teams, ensuring that they are being developed, mentored, and challenged while acting as an advocate for them within the organization.
– You drive the web strategy, objectives, and team structure together with the product management and engineering leadership team.
– You co-own business goals to create business impact and value.
– You enable your teams by removing roadblocks, facilitating decisions & tensions, providing the right tools, and driving the team to be more autonomous and self-sufficient.
– You coach, mentor, and further grow and develop engineers on your team.
– You work and communicate on eye level in our highly collaborative environment. Give and receive feedback to build trust, transparency, and elevate your peers.
To be successful in this role, we believe you need at least 5+ years of experience developing web applications in a senior role & leadership is a passion for you. You have great drive to create business impact. You should demonstrate …
– A good understanding of the north star framework and how to define metrics.
– A collaborative mindset that allows you to solve problems side-by-side with stakeholders from various backgrounds and perspectives.
– Fulfillment in managing people, championing our leadership principles: Communicate directly, drive results collaboratively, develop people, build trust, reflect & think ahead, be curious & dive deep, and simplify.
– Creativity in problem-solving and eagerness to deliver solutions for the next challenge.
– Ownership about high engineering quality.
– Experience in developing and maintaining complex architectures.
Beyond that, we want to hear from you: Why is this role a great fit for you?
At Blinkist, we’ve flipped the script and moved beyond rigid classic management hierarchies. Instead, our Blinkist Operating System fosters a unique company culture valuing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication, transparency, and mutual support.
We offer a permanent role based in Berlin-Neukölln. Our perks don't try to keep you at the office and you can decide on your hours or work remotely whenever you like. We support each other and carve out opportunities for you to grow in your skillset and career. At Blinkist, leadership is a sparring partner, not a micromanager. To find out more about life at Blinkist, visit our careers site.
Your application has been successfully submitted.