Senior Sys Dev Engineer
Cape Town, South Africa
Founded in 2015, JUMO’s mission is to empower emerging market entrepreneurs with financial choices. It has been an exciting and challenging journey, with many achievements and setbacks. At times, we have had to make difficult decisions, most recently this has been to focus on delivering a strong, lean operating model that builds on our clear successes and reduces our exposure in untested markets.
At JUMO we believe that we have the opportunity in our lifetime to connect every entrepreneur to the financial products they need to grow and prosper. We need exceptional people in key roles to make that happen. Joining JUMO requires boldness, resilience, and innovation. You will need to embrace change and operate comfortably in uncharted territory.
As a Senior Systems Development Engineer you will help scale and automate our financial services platform as the organization grows across regions worldwide. The work you’ll do will require you to be intellectually curious, and a clear but passionate thinker, capable of driving and facilitating innovation. You’ll work closely with our software engineering, data engineering, IT, and Information Security teams to build our infrastructure and support the production environment.
You will report to your Systems Development Tech Lead.
If you join us, you’ll
- Architect, develop, automate, and refine processes to allow JUMO to run highly available system in AWS
- Identify and implement tooling to support JUMO’s engineering and data teams, as well as the production environment
- Develop, manage, and troubleshoot JUMO’s production environments hosted in AWS
- Develop monitoring and reporting for JUMO’s infrastructure
- Build and maintain secure network infrastructure to JUMO’s partners
- Lead, influence, and guide architectural and design discussions with the team and principal engineers
- Act as a technical thought leader and mentor for others in the team
- Collaborate with engineering to optimise the database infrastructure
- Help raise and improve the quality of standards on architecture, code, and documentation
- Document operational procedures and best practice system behaviours
It will be great if you have
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements
- Experience mentoring team members
- Good oral and written communication skills
- 8+ years’ experience in scripting
- 8+ years’ unix systems administration experience
- 5+ years’ experience with MySQL or PostgreSQL (preferable)
- 5+ years’ experience with major cloud environments such as Amazon or Azure (Amazon preferred)
- 3+ years’ experience with IP networking and network equipment
- A solid understanding of technologies such as Infrastructure-as-Code and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with container orchestration systems (Kubernetes/EKS preferred)
- Experience with infrastructure as code and CI/CD systems (Terraform, Jenkins, and Spinnaker preferred)
- Experience with observability systems and best practices (Datadog preferred)
- Experience with high volume, highly available systems
- Experience with Agile (Scrum or Kanban) and Lean methodologies
- A University degree would be an advantage
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
Things you’ll love
- Work from home, while collaborating with smart, engaging people
- Working for impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate uncharted territory
- Solving stimulating challenges alongside international teams
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
- A stack of leading-edge technologies
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.
Your application has been successfully submitted.