Director of Engineering, Infrastructure
New York, NY, USA
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
We are looking for a Director of Engineer, Infrastructure. You are someone who love making other engineers more productive, and care about the quality of software in production. The Core Tech team that you will be in charge of, consists of about 20 engineers who own developer tooling, monitoring, alerting, QA, and shared infrastructure such as authentication, message bus, and databases. We want to take this team to the next level and we are looking for someone with passion and experience in the field.
- Our services are deployed in Docker containers orchestrated by Kubernetes (provisioned with kops) running on AWS.
- Most of our services use Node (TypeScript) and Python 3.
- We use Postgres via AWS RDS as our primary database engine.
- We make heavy use of functional testing with Selenium, Zalenium, and BrowserStack.
- We practice continuous integration and continuous deployment (using Buildkite), deploying to production 30+ times a day.
- We practice Infrastructure-as-Code and GitOps using Terraform and Atlantis.
- We use Datadog for metrics and Rollbar for exception tracking.
Responsibilities will include:
- Build core infrastructure for our tech team
- Improve our CI/CD pipeline (we currently deploy 100 times per day, on average)
- Invest in and improve our tooling for creating new services
- Think about security throughout everything you do
- Promote a culture of monitoring and alerting
- Work with other teams to figure out how to build tools to make them more productive
- You have a number of years of experience managing infrastructure-focused teams, ideally at a consumer-facing startup
- You have experience managing mid-sized teams and mentoring managers under you
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Your application has been successfully submitted.