Engineering Manager, Maneuver Planning
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We're the driverless car company. We’re building the world’s best autonomous vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. Our vehicles are on the road in California, Arizona, and Michigan navigating some of the most challenging and unpredictable driving environments. We’re hiring people who want to solve some of today’s most complex engineering challenges and make a positive impact.
About the Robotics team:
The Robotics engineering team is responsible for the software and algorithms that make the vehicle select and follow appropriate trajectories in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. This includes localization, routing, remote assistance, planning, motion planning and controls, frameworks and performance, and Embedded Software (responsible for the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors).
About the role:
We are looking for talented Engineering Managers to lead, manage, and grow highly effective engineering teams across the Autonomous Vehicle Engineering organization. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead and grow a team of engineers within Autonomous Vehicle Engineering
- Ensure high-functioning, high-output team delivers high quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
- Coach and support Individual Contributors enabling effective cross-collaboration between feature and project teams
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, engaging candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy, and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Previous experience as an engineering Manager or Tech Lead providing day-to-day guidance to software engineers
- Proven track record of shipping production quality software for mission-critical or complex software products
- Previous (8+ years) experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, robotics, or safety-critical project environments
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching engineers
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Demonstrated ability to understand and set the architectural direction of pre-existing large-scale C++ software projects spanning multiple teams and years of active, intensive development
- A track record of successfully planning and executing on strategic investments in technical debt and refactoring of legacy systems with a focus on accelerating the overall delivery pace of an organization
- Can manage trade-offs between investing in immediate engineering excellence, funding incremental improvements, and delivering business value to an existing system vs. “green-field” development
- Familiarity with functional programming and experience applying functional concepts to production-scale C++ software engineering (e.g. immutable data structures and separating execution from algorithmic description), especially as it applies to writing understandable, high-performance code.
- Experience in runtime performance optimization, including optimizing memory access patterns, exploiting cache locality, loop unrolling, vectorization, and minimizing kernel/system overhead.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, dinner, and snacks
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Your application has been successfully submitted.