Senior Software Engineer (Percy)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Our mission is to be the testing infrastructure of the internet. Sound interesting?
BrowserStack is the industry-leading, cloud web and mobile testing platform that enables developers to test their websites and apps on different operating systems and mobile devices
To further our mission, we acquired Percy in mid-2020 and this role will join the Percy U.S. engineering team. Percy is an all-in-one visual testing solution. We are working on exciting new ways to design, develop and deliver software with confidence
We’re hiring for a Senior Software Engineer with a backend focus to join our growing team. On a day to day basis, you might:
- Work on our API, improving the codebase by adding features, fixing bugs and expanding test coverage. (Ruby on Rails)
- Learn or level up with new tools and languages
- Contribute to architectural and UI/UX decisions as part of a highly-collaborative team
- Discuss balancing new features with efficiency, performance and scalability. We are proud to have low technical debt due to this balance
- Meet with team members around the globe
- Communicate your progress and blockers
- Squash bugs together!
- Provide feedback and reflection through code reviews and retrospectives
You might also:
- Use Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, and Terraform to maintain and improve our application infrastructure.
- Use Datadog, Honeycomb, and Sentry to monitor and debug production issues.
- Maintain and improve our Go-based networking proxy
We want people who know that software engineering is not just about the code we write, but about the process by which we get there. You should value iteration and exploring the trade-offs of different solutions, and be able to explain the trade-offs to others. You should value both driving consensus as well as moving projects forward
Technical skills are “necessary but not sufficient” — we strongly value empathy and communication with others on the team and with our customers
Top reasons to choose this role:
- Work on a product people love. Percy is valued by Basecamp, Canva, Shopify, and more
- A focus on developer happiness. We’re focused on retaining our hires for the long-term. We try our best to foster a sense of loyalty and happiness among the team
- A truly empathetic team. Our developers feel included and listened to, no matter what background they are coming from
- High-growth company & products: BrowserStack is rapidly expanding globally and is used by millions of developers around the world
We strive to grow a collaborative team where everyone feels a strong sense of belonging
Our process is strongly pro-developer. Developers on our team have clear objectives for success, but also have lots of autonomy to achieve these objectives
When new features are being added to Percy, we take care to fix things as they come up so we don’t have to worry about them while still making forward progress. We consistently take care of technical debt, automating workflows, and reflecting on how to improve our own productivity
What our team says about working on Percy’s team (collected by a third party):
- “Everything people bring to the table is unique to them and is valued. I don’t know how to articulate what it is that makes me feel like I can be my authentic self.”
- “I feel important… every person is willing to listen to another’s perspective. I have regular one-on-ones to see how it’s going, both as a person and an underrepresented person. My voice can and has had an effect on the business and culture.”
- “I feel engaged. I learn new things every day. The projects I’ve given are well-suited to my interests.”
You might be our team’s missing puzzle piece if:
- You can communicate in a friendly and professional manner. People you talk to feel important and heard
- You have enough years of experience in Ruby/Python/Go to go most days without needing mentorship
- You can hit the ground running with Ruby on Rails, either because you have plenty of experience building with it before or because you’ve used a comparable web framework for many years
- You have experience managing a cluster of containers with Kubernetes or similar
- You have a proven ability to learn new skills on the job as they come up, and you love learning so you relish the opportunity
- You’re able to self-manage and communicate your progress to others
Non-necessary bonus points:
- You have an in-depth networking background
- You’ve configured and run continuous integration systems
- 100% covered health insurance premiums
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible vacation policy
- Laptop provided, and if remote we’ll contribute up to $500 toward your home office setup
- Competitive salary, bonus and equity program
Diversity and Inclusion
We strongly value building a company where everyone feels safe, welcome, and supported to achieve their professional goals. We strive to build an inclusive environment, where every person is encouraged to bring their whole self to work. We want to make sure that our attitudes and processes support a team from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.